Wednesday 29 April 2015

Sourdough vanilla sponge cake with bunting for 8th GGG blogiversary

So this blog turns 8 today.  It is my tradition that E's birthday cake is always featured on my blogiversary.  His birthday was anticipated with great plans for eating sausage rolls at Luna Park with my family and a treacle tart on the day of his birthday.  Instead it was met with rotten weather and ill health.  Despite these challenges, we still managed to celebrate with good food and fun.

We had planned our trip to Luna Park a few weeks prior and crossed our fingers for good weather.  Melbourne's weather can be fickle.  On the day before we planned to go out, Sylvia was sick.  While we waited for the locum doctor to visit us at home (our first time - it was really useful), I baked sausage rolls and chocolate caramel slice to take with us. I was too hopeful.  Then next day it was pouring rain and we had a fluffy of facebook messages about contingency plans.

My brother booked us a table at the Beachcomber.  It was surprisingly busy.  Yet I can appreciate that everyone else wanted to be cosy inside rather than outside in the wind and rain (see above photo).  I had a great green smoothie, an average minestrone and shared some of the really lovely haloumi and pita breads.  Rather than eating dessert I saved myself for the chocolate caramel slice.

I had made the caramel slice with a blend of gluten free flours.  (Check out the post for my notes on the GF version.)  I worried I had overcooked it but the next day it was chewy and delicious.  I gave some to my family and we made our way through these and the sausage rolls at home.  Sausage rolls make great snacks and meals.  Even Sylvia loved them.  Mostly!

A few days later on E's birthday he came down with a cold.  Fortunately he was not off his food.  I was busy on that day but managed to bake the cake and make a chilli non carne (recipe to come) before I went out. I was making a sponge cake I had made a few times before.  E loves it.  This time I decided it was a good opportunity to use up some sourdough starter.  So I tweaked the recipe and it worked brilliantly.

My evening was even more time poor than I had expected as I took a friend of Sylvia's after school.  She was meant to come home for a playdate but we got waylaid in the supermarket and before I knew it, it was time for her to go home so - thanks to a communication breakdown - I took her home while her mum was knocking on the front door of our home.  While I chatted to her mum I said I wanted to make bunting to rig up over the cake with skewers.

Kerin is great with craft projects.  Before I knew it she had coloured string and washi tape and we were taping small strips of washi tape around the string and cutting it into triangles.  It is always more fun to do this sort of thing with a friend and I suspect I might have just run out of puff if I had been doing it myself at home, so I was most grateful for her help. 

Back at home I wanted to put smarties around the base of the cake but Sylvia was adamant that they would go around the top and as a flower in the middle.  Sometimes it is better to let kids develop ideas than to go with the original plan.

We had a delicious dinner.  The chilli non carne was delicious with tortillas and lots of extras.  The cake had lots of really soft buttercream because I just put some margarine in a bowl and mixed icing sugar in until I couldn't bear to add more sugar.  We sang happy birthday, E blew out the candles and Sylvia sliced up some wedges of cake.  Fresh sponge cake with soft buttercream is exactly what E loves and he was delighted.  The sourdough didn't make a huge effect on the flavour.  It was more for using up starter than affecting the taste. 

It is a small cake so it was gone within a day or two.  I wish it had been bigger and I could share a blogiversary  celebration slice with you and all the lovely readers who have supported my blog since it started in 2007.  I write a longer reflective post on the changes on my blog and my life annually at New Year's Eve so I wont dwell on these here.  But I will say that I am always amazed that another year of blogging has passed and I am still here.  Many thanks for continuing to visit, read and comment.  Meanwhile, life seems to get busier and busier.  Fortunately there is still lots of good food I am enjoying and want to share here. 

For instance, I had also planned to make a treacle tart as well but I ran out of time and had to postpone this for another day.  We weren't fussed.  Everyone was very full.  Though Sylvia and E ate their cake with the ice cream that I had bought for the tart.  However I have since made the treacle tart (before they ate all the ice cream) and will share it soon.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Creme Egg Chocolate Drizzle Cake for a blogiversary
Two year ago: Vegan Victoria Sponge Birthday Cake
Three years ago: Ghost cake, birthdays and wildlife
Four years ago: Guitar Birthday Cake
Five years ago: Viking cat cake with a butterscotch secret
Six years ago: Happy Birthday to E and GGGiraffe
Seven years ago: Green Gourmet Giraffe Birthday Cake
Eight years ago: A very vampire birthday

Sourdough vanilla sponge cake
Adapted from Green Gourmet Giraffe

125 plain flour
125g caster sugar
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
pinch turmeric (for colour)
125ml sourdough starter from fridge
5 tbsp soy milk
3 tbsp rice bran oil
3 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
buttercream or icing sugar for serving

Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a 15cm round cake tin. (Or double ingredients for a 20cm round cake tin.) Mix dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl. It should be thick creamy batter. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve dusted with icing sugar or spread with buttercream icing.

On the Stereo:
Dream Your Life Away: Vance Joy

28 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Blogiversary, truly LOVE your blog Johanna and you are a wonderful blogger in every way x Wow has it really been 8 years. Your blog has stayed loyal to its roots, whereas many others have become very commercial. I love your down to earth and honest homely approach. So sorry to hear E was poorly on his Birthday (belated birthday wishes to him) but they day seemed to have been a success. I want some of those sausage rolls, I always drool over them when I see variations on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - you are very kind - but it is lovely to hear you find my blog honest - I do my best but isn't it a challenge to find the balance between presenting your best side and still being you on blogs. If you haven't made these sausage rolls, you must, they are the best best recipe.

      Delete
  2. Many happy bloggy returns! Wow, eight years seems forever! Lovely food and a beautifully decorated cake though I'm sorry to hear of poor health. We had plans put on hold last week with the windy weather. I agree with Shaheen about your blog staying loyal to its roots and is very down to earth and honest! Here's to another eight :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - 8 years is forever in blog years - so many changes in that time and many temptations to change in ways I am not comfortable with - glad it feels to you that I have done ok. The weather has been rubbish lately but at least it is good for the garden :-)

      Delete
  3. Happy blogiversary, 8 years and going strong is a very impressive achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle - I am sometimes surprised I am still going but very pleased

      Delete
  4. Isn't it interesting how Sylvia has her own ideas about decorating! And a very happy blogsoversary Johanna! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - Sylvia knows what she likes and is never backwards in coming forwards about it :-)

      Delete
  5. Happy blogiversary and happy birthday to E! It is so hard to plan around Melbourne's weather sometimes, but i'm glad you had a contingency plan. The cake looks amazing, I'd love to try a sourdough cake..I have tried sourdough doughnuts from friends of the earth...yum. I too have been making sausage rolls lately, they are always such a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - the contingency plan was cobbled together quickly on the morning - luckily we had been the beachcomber a few times as a family. I'd love to try making sourdough doughnuts. I had made the sausage rolls because everyone loves them and I wasn't sure what Luna Park would have on offer! (Visions of Sylvia eating fairy floss for lunch!!!!)

      Delete
  6. Happy blogiversary and birthdayversary! Eight years is amazing, and the cake looks a fitting tribute. I really like the idea of the sourdough vanilla cake. I make a a ginger sourdough cake not so long ago, and it ended up being a bit too dry. I shall try again with the vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - interesting that your sourdough cake was too dry - this one was lovely but I made another that was a bit too moist. I have made the cake a few times before so I added enough milk to get the right texture - and I suspect starters are always a little different in texture so some might need more liquid added to a sourdough cake than others.

      Delete
  7. Oooh that cake looks fab. Happy bloggiversary! So glad you are still writing. I still make those brilliant sausage rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shona - glad you are still enjoying the sausage rolls - they are indeed brillaint

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday to E and happy blog birthday to you! 8 years - that is so impressive Johanna. I am impressed that you still turn out innovative and new recipes and your posts certainly lift my week.

    This cake looks gorgeous and even if the sourdough starter didn't make a huge difference to taste, I like the idea of it! It looks perfectly fluffy too and the other food sounds great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - so lovely to hear my posts lift your week. I'm not sure I would call the cake fluffy but it is like a good butter cake or pound cake (or the british sort of sponge cake).

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday to E!! ANd what a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy blogiversary and I love the cake bunting, what a crafty idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara - I loved the bunting and wondered if it might be fun to make it for the dolls house.

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday to E and happy blogiversary! The cake is gorgeous and I like Sylvia's decorating idea. I wouldn't mind a piece of the caramel slice either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - caramel slice is always a winner - but hard to photograph - maybe I need sylvia's help with photo styling - would have loved to share a slice with you

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday E! Hope he had a great birthday despite not feeling well. And happy blogiversary! 8 years! That's awesome =D I hope I'm half the bloginista you are at my 8-years! Your pictures are gorgeous and recipes amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I love hearing I am a bloginista - never heard the word before I suspect I will find myself using it :-)

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on eight successful years. The cake is gorgeous and I love the way it's decorated. What a shame about the weather and the illness. The weather in Sydney has been pretty disappointing lately too - so much rain! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks charlie - It was fun to do the bunting with my friend and the smarties with sylvia. Our weather hasn't been as bad as Sydney's - can't believe the photos of that hail storm. And we have had a couple of warmer days but it does seem unseasonally cold and wet

      Delete
  14. 8 years? Congratulations! That's fantastic. And Happy Birthday to E too!
    I love reading your blog..... it is always really interesting as well as full of fab recipes. And I always look froward to reading tales of Australian family life and adventures....
    The cake looks wonderful.... Love the decorations and Sylvia was right to put the Smarties round the top with a flower in the middle! Got the makings of a great little decorator there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - that's lovely to hear how much you enjoy the blog - I fought the flower in the middle but your photos always look so lovely that it is good to hear you like it - it did look pretty but I was after a more minimalist look. However I think this was pretty minimalist for a 6 year old!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)